2021 is Newham’s Year of the Child
‘We don’t believe children are our future.
Children are our here and now’
Welcome to the Working Together Early Years Hub
Working Together is a collaboration between Newham’s maintained nursery schools, private and community nurseries, and childminders. The collaboration is supported by Newham Council, Newham Adult Learning, and the Newham Health Visiting Team. The Hub links over 100 early years settings. We’re collaborating on continuous improvement to the quality of our provision, working with parents to give children the best start to life.
Previously, we were one of the three Early Years Hubs that were funded by the Greater London Authority to improve children’s life chances in London.
The three year funding from the GLA came to an end in 2020, but the Newham Hub continues to thrive.
Find out more about our work by exploring our case studies in the Case Studies Menu above.
- Unity and connectedness
- Autonomous learners
- The value of childhood in its own right
- Relationships matter
- Creativity and the power of symbols
- The central importance of play
- Engaging with nature
- Knowledgeable, nurturing educators
Led by Newham’s Nursery Schools, in partnership with Newham’s Best Start in Life team, Working Together includes private and voluntary sector setting partners, childminders, schools, health visitors, Newham Adult Learning Service and the East London Early Years and Schools Partnership Teaching School Alliance. You can download our vision below.
We aim to:
- Improve the quality and inclusion of early education in Newham so that we make a positive difference to all children’s life chances
- Increase the quality and supply of the early years workforce in line with the creation of new places
- Ensure that at least 75% of disadvantaged two year olds in Newham access a free early education place, so that the most disadvantaged children won’t be left behind in future
- A free Professional Development programme for practitioners
- A Mentor with expertise in early education to support settings with termly self-assessment and action planning visits
- Half termly network development meetings for settings in each quadrant
- Free pre-employment training for those who want to work in early years education, including functional skills (Maths and English) courses
- Confidence and self-esteem building, Level 2/3 early years qualifications, Level 3 Apprenticeships, and Teaching Assistant qualifications through Newham Adult Learning Service: www.newhamadultlearning.co.uk